Mayor’s Permit (Business Permit) Registration in the Philippines for New Businesses
Before you can start operating your business in the Philippines, you need to secure a Mayor’s Permit or Business Permit from the Local Government Unit (LGU) where your company office is located. LGUs can be cities or municipalities, and the procedures for obtaining a permit may vary depending on the local regulations and ordinances the city or municipality seeks to implement.
Business permits are renewed every year. Renewal period is usually on the first month of the calendar year. Penalties are imposed on businesses that fail to renew their business permits on or before the prescribed period.
List of Requirements for Obtaining a Mayor’s Permit in the Philippines
- Application Form
- Certificate of Registration from Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for Corporations/Partnerships; Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) for Sole Proprietorships; or Cooperative Development Authority (CDA) for Cooperatives
- Barangay Business Clearance*
- Community Tax Certificate (CTC or Cedula)
- Contract of Lease (if leased)/Transfer Certificate of Title (if owned)
- Sketch/Pictures of the business location (3 copies)
- Public Liability Insurance (for Restaurants, Cinemas, Malls, etc./exempted: Sari-sari Stores, Carinderias)
- Locational/Zoning Clearance*
- Certificate of Occupancy (Building and Unit)*
- Building Permit and Electrical Inspection Certificate*
- Sanitary Permit*
- Fire Safety Inspection Permit*
*You can view the list of requirements for securing each permit/clearance here.
Steps in Securing a Mayor’s Permit
The step-by-step process for procuring a Mayor’s Permit depends on the local regulations and ordinances of the city/municipality where your business is located. But the general process usually involves the following steps:
1. Secure the initial requirements:
- Accomplished Application Form
- SEC/DTI/CDA Certificate of Registration
- Contract of Lease or Transfer Certificate of Title
- Sketch/Picture of the business location
2. Secure permits and clearances – each permit can only be obtained when the aforementioned requirements in step 1 are fulfilled. Each permit/clearance is usually obtained from designated offices inside the City/Municipal Hall. The specific permits/clearances are as follows:
- Barangay Business Clearance
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Building Permit and Electrical Inspection Certificate
- Locational/Zoning Clearance
3. File your Application Form along with the other requirements to the Bureau of Permits (BP)/Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO) at the City/Municipal Hall.
4. Procure a Community Tax Certificate/Cedula from the City Treasurer’s Office.
5. An assessor will assess your application fees and you are required to have the assessment (Official Billing Assessment) validated by a BP/BPLO officer.
6. Submit your application requirements, along with the Official Billing Assessment, to the designated office.
7. Pay the necessary payment fees for the permits and licenses to the Cashier’s Office.
8. Obtain a Fire Safety Inspection Permit from the designated Fire Department by presenting your paid application requirements.
9. Obtain a Temporary Sanitary Permit from the designated Sanitary Department by presenting your paid application requirements. Depending on the local health regulations or ordinances of the city/municipality, the actual permit may only be issued after completion of mandatory company office inspections and/or health tests for employees.
10. Submit all requirements, along with the Fire Safety Inspection Permit and Temporary Sanitary Permit, to the designated BP/BPLO office.
11. Release of Mayor’s Permit
A compilation of the current requirements and specific application processes of major cities in the Philippines for the issuance of a Mayor’s Permit (Business Permit) can be accessed below.
Need Help in Registering Your Business in the Philippines?
Kittelson & Carpo Consulting has registered hundreds of local and foreign companies in the Philippines. Our full spectrum of corporate services is guaranteed to help you enjoy a seamless business registration process.